Thursday, August 27, 2009

- D Day

D Day: does that stand for Diagnosis Day? Doctor Day? Whatever . . . faithful friend Tammy came with me to the hospital this morning to provide chauffeuring, moral support and note taking (in case I was too numb to hear things clearly). Actually, Dr. Sigman is a very neat doctor and we were able to discuss things very calmly and matter-of-a-factly. He was not in a rush, he was patient, and he answered all my questions.

Although the cancer seems to be contained in the one area where the lump is, on the right breast, I've opted for the double mastectomy. I brought up this option; he didn't. . . I think he assumed that women never want to discuss the radical approach when it comes to cancer removal, but in my case, with 9 cancers in my family, I think radical is the only way to go, and Dr. Sigman agreed.

I am very fortunate in that I won't have to wait long, so praise the Lord for that! My pre-admission tests are next Tuesday, September 1, and the major surgery is Tuesday, September 15th.

During the surgery, they'll also remove lymph nodes from under my right arm, which will be biopsied during the surgery. If those are cancerous, they will remove as many nodes as they have to. After the surgery, I'll be informed about details of the cancer, severity, etc.

Patients are sent home the day following the mastectomy, and apparently recuperation does not take all that long.

After a break, they recommend chemo. My understanding is that the strength / intensity / duration of the chemo will depend on the findings of the type of cancer, whether it's spread, etc. But I don't think I'll be going to Hawaii anytime soon . . . he said the chemo generally takes a year (hmm....maybe I could do chemo on a beach in Kona or Wakiki?) ;)

Gotta go have a nap! I was up too early for this appointment and I'm gonna crash!

God bless you for your care, concern, calls & emails. Now if you would only send money . . .

I'm KIDDING!!! :-)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy. I had just heard about the cancer today. And though I was shocked and saddened, I am happy to know that you've kept a positive attitude throughout this process.

    And thanks to the internet, you've been able to reach out to people and can express in a very publuc way how you're doing and feeling.

    I do pray that God will guide you through this process and that you'll find joy in every moment, no matter whether God decides to remove this from you or allows it to remain. In whatever circumstance, it's important to stay loyal to God.

    I've subscribed to your blog, so I'll be following along as you post. Keep us up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, Gary...you sure are no stranger to health stuff - how are things, lately for you healthwise? :)

    ReplyDelete