Wednesday, November 25, 2009

- Bend In the Road


This morning, as I was pondering what to write in this Blog today, my new and "breast friend" Neri emailed me. Neri (see photo below, far right) is a fellow breast cancer survivor and one of the facilitators from our Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer support group. She sent me this beautiful poem:



BEND IN THE ROAD    Helen Steiner Rice
 

When we feel we have nothing left to give
And we are sure that the song has ended.

When our day seems over and the shadows fall
And the darkness of night has descended.
 

Where can we go to find the strength
To valiantly keep on trying
Where can we find the hand that will dry
The tears that the heart is crying.

There's but one place to go and that is to God
And dropping all pretense and pride.
We can pour out our problems without restraint
And gain strength with Him at our side.
 

And together we stand at life's crossroads
And view what we think is the end.
But God has a much bigger vision
And He tells us it's only a bend.
 

For the road goes on and is smoother
And the pause in the song is a rest.
And the part that's unsung and unfinished
Is the sweetest and richest and best!

  
Helen Steiner Rice had many blessings in her life, but also several tragedies, such as the death of her father at a key point in her life, and the suicide of her husband, which left her a widow at a young age. Yet, decades later, her marvellous poems continue to inspire millions.

I was thinking this morning about how glad I am that my plans were disturbed and that I did not go to Hawaii after all. 

Huh? 

Why on earth would I say that? Montreal, Quebec, Canada in the winter is proving better for me than Kona, Hawaii, land of sand, surf and sea????

Honestly, I was thinking today just how blessed I am to be here, right here, in the land of about-to-be-ice-and-snow. Glad to be here, going through what I'm going through, even though it's not always pleasant, and being here, spending time with . . . you!











Because the crazy thing about it is . . . it feels . . . well, right. It's just feeling right to be right here, right now . . . meeting these precious ladies . . . going to support groups . . . having the amazing opportunity of doing this documentary . . . Liliana and her film crew  following me through this journey of cancer . . . and yes, even going through chemo. 

And it all has to do with God using us to help others. It's supposed to always be about others. It's not always supposed to be about us.

You see, my friends, that is the very reason I was going to Hawaii in the first place . . . I wanted to help others. To teach English to internationals for awhile, and then to move on out into the world to help other people in other countries.

But then I got Breast Cancer. 

Except that now, He seems to be using me to help others right here. And in a far larger, greater way than I ever imagined. 

And so . . . I am content.

















Here I am, singing Menopause for the girls, 
since chemo for Breast Cancer brings it on!


So to quote from Helen's poem above,  

"...together we stand at life's crossroads
And view what we think is the end.
But God has a much bigger vision
And He tells us it's only a bend.
 

For the road goes on and is smoother
And the pause in the song is a rest.
And the part that's unsung and unfinished
Is the sweetest and richest and best!"


Two parts of the Bible that seem to be JUST for me lately!!! ~

Proverbs 19:21
"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

James 4:13-15
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 

Yup, I really get both those verses, now. Got 'em, Lord! Committing them to memory!

And so, the journey continues. It will be SO interesting to see where it leads! The most important thing? My hand is in His, and for now, that is all that matters.

Be blessed, my friends, and walk softly through this life.  

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."  - Plato


Love and prayers for you,

Wendy


6 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy: Thankyou for continually blessing my life each day with the wonderful words you share with the "new" journey you are taking at this time! God Bless You my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are as blessed as much as you are blessing others.

    Beautiful poem and truly reflects the reality of God's involvement in our lives. He's sees the road up ahead when we don't even see the next step.

    The hand of God and His providence was the first thing I saw when these events in your life transpired. He knew what He had to do to prepare you and have you in the right place to begin and travel through this journey.

    L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy,

    You sound like an amazing woman, I am glad for you that good stuff is happening for you while you are going thru the bad stuff.

    I will keep you in my prayers. All the best,

    M(fellow traveller)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Wendy. I'm sure you feel you are in the right place, etc. because you are at the center of His will. He is using you and blessing you with great people at the same time.
    I can only imagine what a great addition you will be not only to the documentary but to the support group! You are so talented and special.
    With love, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHHH Wendy..Can I reach out from Albany to montrel and hug you. You are always an insperation to me.
    Here is something I think you will enjoy. I am sure you know it.:)
    QUOTE: Success, Emerson

    "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success."
    Thinking of you and wishing you the best always,
    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, Jesus must also be listening to your menopause song, and smiling, and saying, "Keep singing, Wendy, 'cause that's the gift I gave you, and you use it to cheer others up, and don't worry, they do see Me through your music." I love you, Wendy.

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete