Monday, January 4, 2010

- Star Power


So CTV aired Timmy & I last night at 6 pm and 11:30 pm. Timmy's a bit miffed because there was more about Liliana's film and my humor than about him, but I told him that's what happens when you hide under the bed when the camera comes out.

I pointed out to him that I didn't hide under the bed when Tania and the cameraman showed up at the door, and nobody had to drag me off of the top of the washing machine and subdue me as they were trying to film, but he's still miffed. He just doesn't get it, so he's been sulking since yesterday.






















Anyways, for all you wonderful readers who missed the piece or who live outside the Montreal area, here's the link where you can watch us:

http://www.wendy.ca/content/view/28/32/

Under the video cube, click on "CTV News - The Power Of One".

Speaking of miffed, Timmy's not the only one. PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS MISPRONOUNCING MY LAST NAME!!! Arrggghhhh! And the announcer did just that on this CTV piece! Hmmph. I called Tania, the reporter who came to my place, and I left a message asking her to call me, but she never got back to me. I wanted to give her pronunciation lessons on my last name.

Yes, I realize that "Farha" isn't an everyday kind of name....it's actually Arabic. No, I am not a terrorist. Yes, my paternal grandparents are from the Middle East. No, they are not terrorists, either. That's because they are dead. Oh, sorry - dark humor. Well, I can't help it - if they were alive today, they'd be, uh.....126 years old or something.

Anyways, yes, my dad's parents came to the States from Damascus, Syria in 1903 or thereabouts. They came through Ellis Island as did tons of other immigrants from all over the world. Their religion was Syrian Orthodox, which is pretty similar to Green Orthodox or Ukrainian Orthodox. My grandmother and grandfather hadn't met yet - they came to North America separately and met at a garment factory where they were working, in New York City.

They later immigrated to Canada, settled in Lachine, Quebec - a suburb of Montreal - and raised their six kids. My grandmother never learned to speak English - she was too busy chasing my father & his five siblings. My grandfather ran a pool hall. Exciting stuff, eh?

ANYways, the name "FARHA" means "JOY" in Arabic. Isn't that appropriate for the likes of me? And supposedly, "WENDY" means "WANDERER", if you look at the Germanic root. Other meanings are "WHITE SKINNED" (also true of me, except in summer, when I have a dark tan) and "FRIEND" (I guess that would depend on "to whom"? I'm not everybody's friend....I'm only a friend to people I've already met.)

So now for the pronunciation lesson, if you care to participate: my last name is "FAR-huh". Everybody repeat after me: "FAR-huh". It's not complicated. Think of "FAR" away, as in, Hawaii is FAR from here. Then think "huh", as in, "huh"! I'm not going to Hawaii because I am getting chemo right now. Once again: "FAR-huh". It's Arabic. Did I mention that? And the emphasis is on the "FAR".


















Ooh, must be my Arab blood. Every time I see a camel, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Just look at those eyelashes!

Okay, so here is how my last name is NOT pronounced: (yes, I have been called all of these)
Farra (ahem! CTV announcer? Guilty!!! Ooh, I hate that...)
Farma
Far Out (okay, that one's not true)
Farta (oh, yes, just two months ago, I got that)

And here is how my last name is NOT spelled:
Farra
Farrah
Farrat
Farhat
Fara
Farma
Farta
Pharoah (oh, yes! And on a poster advertising my concert! Ya think they would have called to ask me how it's spelled before they made up the posters!!!!)

Well, I guess it could be worse. I went to school with a girl whose last name was Barf. She was from Germany. Poor girl. And it was more awful for her sister, whose first name was Bunny. Bunny Barf. Come to think of it, maybe that was just a rumor.

Anyhoo, I'm off to see my Oncologist today at 3 pm, and I'll find out when my chemo resumes. My hair has started to grow back, so I guess it's safe to say that the last round from November 23rd is, like, long gone.

Later, people!

Love, Me.























14 comments:

  1. I just saw you on the news and was so moved that I had to write to you. My friend also has breast cancer and lost her rite breast and is in kemo now.She has such a positive attitude about it that its unbelievable.

    I help her when she has her down days but yet she still has a wonderfull smile even through the bad days. Like you it is wonderfull to see you reaching out to ppl and saying kinda that there not alone.

    I wish you all the luck and pray for all those who have to go through what you guys are going through. I love the courage and strength you have and wish you the best.

    From a fellow montrealer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy dear, I have been thinking and praying for you a lot lately! How on earth have you been able to joke around and encourage others the way you do?? You are truly amazing and a tribute to God's amazing grace. I really can't say I've been tested the way you have.

    You know, had I been in your position, I would still be reeling from the disappointment of not being able to go to the YWAM school in Hawaii. How do you handle that? Well, being on TV and radio etc. sounds exciting but telling ALL of your stuff...don't know 'bout that...

    Love,L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Wendy - this time you have really outdone yourself!!!!! I love it.

    Love,
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just downloaded your album and am listening to my most favorite so far..."You Say". See you tomorrow!

    MF

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Wendybelle,

    You are a star!! Seriously, you did really well, that was a warm and touching piece. I am sure a lot of people will relate to it.

    So proud of you!
    xox Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your attitude in the face of adversity is genuinely inspiring!

    SM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Wendy, caught you on the news last night! You are such an inspiration to so many people. Thank you so much for allowing us to share in your experience.

    AV

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy,

    It's been such a blessing to see you grow stronger in God's grace. Your life is impacting so many. God is using you in ways, I'm sure you couldn't imagine.

    May 2010 be a year of new beginnings...

    Love,
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy,

    I saw you last night on the telly. You are a courageous lady. It cannot be easy being cheerful, but somehow you seem to be managing wonderfully. It probably helps to have the filming objective but I am glad you have your cat to keep you company.

    I too am a cat person and have 2 rescues - I know how comforting they can be. 15 months is an awfully long time to have treatments, but with your spirit I am sure the days will pass quickly. I will keep in touch via your blog.

    Keep it up, Wendy - the future lies ahead.

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Wendy!!

    I LOVE the CTV piece, really,really!!! Awesome stuff! The blogs are great too. There you are, out there, speaking your truth and opening minds, it's amazing :-)))))))

    I have a feeling that for the time being, your path is to educate. You're doing an amazing job so far, keep going. It really is about the journey, one of my many discoveries. Easy to say, a little more challenging to experience isn't it? And please remember that I always have time for you, although I'm not as funny as Brahms....

    Thinking of you,
    NM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great clip on the news......keep smiling, God likes your smile!!!

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy,

    We watched the CTV spot. It is wonderful that so many people are being helped by your willingness to share your story...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool, Wendy.

    Thank you. It's cool to see how you are using your gifts of humor and music to encourage others. Would you ever have predicted that your gifts would rise to the public eye through breast cancer? He must have lead you to Lilianna...or her to you...both, I guess.

    God bless you and keep you in His arms. I'm thankful that you're out there sharing with so many people. May God guide you in all that you do.

    XO

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You never cease to amaze me! So many people will be touched by you when the film comes out as well. You have already reached out to so many people with your wit, charm, and incredible writing skills. Continue doing what you are doing Wendy. You inspire so many, myself included. Love you. xo

    ReplyDelete